Goulburn Golf Club Associates
Although records were not kept until 1904,
Goulburn had formed a Ladies' Club in 1899. Goulburn Associates is thus one of the
oldest golfing bodies in the State, and joined the New South Wa Ladies' Golf Union
in 1906. In 1978 the club was the venue for a three-day Golden Jubilee Tournament
to celebrate the formation of the Central Southern Golf Association in 1929.
A foundation club, the Goulburn Golf Club is
one of the oldest country clubs in New South Wales.It was formed about 1899. Apparently,
although the Associates 'existed' the first records kept were in 1904eventually
joining the NSW Ladies Golf Union in 1906.
The first Championship was played in 1904,
the winner being Mrs Thompson. Over the early days, there were several players who
won the Championship many times, the most outstanding being Mrs Frances Adams, with
a record of eleven titles. As well as being a keep golfer, Frances Adams was a dedicated
Mrs Mary Hoddle who won the championship twice
gave valuable service as honorary secretary for many years, in building the Club.
In 1925 the associates donated money to complete
the grass greens. The associates President at that time was Mrs Nellie Knowlman,
who was very interested in beautifying the course. She personally planted the coloured
hawthorns at the back of the 18th Green, and lined the fairway of the 7th with prunus.
When in flower in spring, the sight delights players and artists alike.
Among the many cups and trophies donated by
members and associates, the most coveted is the Nellie Knowlman Rose Bowl, donated
by Mr J.E. Knowlman as a memorial to his wife.
The South Coast and Southern Tablelands Championship
cup was donated by Mr L.T. Watson of "Wollogorang" and is played for annually at
the Goulburn Associates' Open bay, and draws top players from many clubs.
The Central Southern Golf Association was formed
in 1928 at Canberra. Mrs S.N. Bruce (later Viscountess), wife of the then Prime
Minister, donated the Bruce Cup for team members playing off scratch match play
between Association Clubs. The first match was played at Goulburn on 29th May, 1929.
In 1931 Mrs Dorothy Baxter of Goulburn donated
the Bronze Shield for Association teams playing off handicap.
was played at Goulburn in 1929 and the CS.G.A. celebrated its 50th birthday in October
1978 with a Golden Jubilee Tournament played over three days at Goulburn, drawing
an entry of 300 players.
FIRST WIN SINCE 1935
GOULBURN GOLF CLUB'S ASSOCIATES' BRONZE SHIELD
TEAM WHO REPRESENTED THE CENTRAL ZONE THIS SEASON
They won the
final from Bowral Country Club at Yass recently, giving Goulburn its first win since
1935. Members of the team from left: Mesdames A. Granger, J. Chalker, H. Hickman,
M. Cooper (Captain), M. Hahn and B. Ferguson (August 1973)
Lady Members Most Honored
Anne Bourchier who's
name appears on several Honour Boards, won 10 single Club Championships also 4 mixed
foursomes championships and 7 foursomes championships.
Jess Beattie also named
on the Honour Board, won 5 single championships, foursomes championships. Jess
also won many Crookwell Club Championships.
Shirley Weir, also named
on the Honour Boards, won 8 single club championships, 10 mixed foursomes and 3
Mrs C Adams, won 3 single
club championships during World War One and later won 8 championships.
Una Mitchell, won 9
single club championships Edna Emery
won 5 single club championships.
“A” GRADE: Goulburn Golf Club was a foundation member of the `A' Grade Pennants
of Illawarra and Southern Tablelands Golf Association Teams coming form Wollongong,
Moss Vale, Goulburn, Royal Canberra and Yass. Competition started in 1948. It was
the first time 'A' Pennants were played outside the Metropolitan area.
After some years Port
Kembla, Federal Canberra, Bowral Country Club, Yowani, Tully Park and Nowra Club
joined. With all these clubs the `A' Grade Pennant was divided into two divisions
with the winner of each playing a Final.
With the formation of the ACT Monaro Association
it was decided to have one division in this Association, member clubs being; Goulburn,
Royal Canberra, Federal Canberra, Yass and Yowani.
One Pennant match In 1949
P Todkill lost to F Buckley; J Powell won from J Woods;
J Collins won from R McKay; W Hurley lost to M Stringer; W Holloway won from
C Barnes; D Urquhart won from G Brandon and J Donnelly lost to Mr McKay - Goulburn
Won 4 - 3.
"B" Division: B Division Pennants first started in the
late 1950's with the following club teams. Tully Park (the only club with grass
greens); Crookwell; Queanbeyan; Braidwood; Yass; Gunning. These courses all had
sand greens. Goulburn Club entered in the 1960's and with the above clubs continued
the "B" Division.
Other clubs to enter
over the years have been Duntroon; Cooma: Fairbairn; Belconnen (now Woodhaven Green);
Gloucester (now Capital)
Over the years competition has always been keenly contested and all who have taken part have thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
Long Reef Visit - How It All Began
Reg Mayo owned a sports
store. Peter Crofts and Tim Payne, both members of Long Reef Golf Club, were sports
representatives and became close friends of Reg.
As they were all keen
golfers, they played at the Goulburn Golf Club whenever the opportunity arose, and
Reg invited them to come to Goulburn one weekend and to bring any others who
In 1955 Peter Crofts and Tim Payne came to Goulburn,
as invited, and were accompanied by Ivan Challis and Henry Waghorn. An unofficial
match took place between these found representing Long Reef and Reg Mayo, Jack
"Cracker" Collins, David Grant and Harry Bell. Goulburn won 2 matches to nil. the side bet
was 5 (five) pounds a head and the Long Reef players "decorated the centre" with
the substantial amount (in those days) of twenty pounds.
The Goulburn tradition
was to label the centre as "drinking silver" and proceed to "drink it out". As middies
were about 2/ each then it was expected that this would last most of the evening
and as a Social had been arranged in honour of the visit, a good evening was anticipated.
However due to the conviviality and the drinking capacity of the group, the
centre had entirely disappeared before the Social began.
During this weekend
it was suggested that arrangements be made for Reciprocal Rights to apply and an
annual match take place between Long Reef and Goulburn. The first match took place
in 1955 at Long Reef and a return visit to Goulburn in 1956 (results unknown).
The first Goulburn team was led by Dr Bill McCarthy who was President at that time
and included Mick McGuigan, Jack and
Ken Collins, Arthur Devlin, John Powell and
Captain Perc Todkill.
Long Reef was represented
by President Gus Widmeyer, Captain Peter Crofts, Tim Payne, Ivan Challis, Harry
Waghorn, John Hall and Andrew Edgar.
Initially all meals
for the weekend were paid for by the host club but on one occasion at Long Reef
the "Bill" amounted to 250 pounds (approximately $1500, 1983 prices) so this "benefit"
On the occasion of the second match in Goulburn, Dr. Bill McCarthy announced his intention of donating
a shield for this event, and, of course, this is now played for twice a year.
Since then the Shield
has changed hands many times as it will do so in the future-long may this fellowship
between our clubs continue.
Goulburn Golf Club Champion on 12 occasions,
AC (Dick) Smith, now living on the South Coast, would need a trophy board to himself if all his successes were listed. In addition to the club
championships, he has won nine foursomes championships, three mixed foursomes titles
and three Winter Cups. He is joined by such illustrious multiple championship
winners as John Powell, Bruce Devlin and Col McGuigan. His successful years include:
Club Championships, 1966, 67, 71, 79, 80, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89; foursomes
titles, 1969 (with Harry Anderson), 1973, 77, 78, 79, 83, 85, 87,89 (all with Bob
Cunningham). In addition, he won mixed championships in 1986, 88 and 89 with Shirley
Weir. Dick Smith is now a member at Catalina Golf Club at Batemans Bay, has added
to his prolific record with a number of South Coast titles.